About Me

My photo
adventurers, leap-takers, stargazers, Christ worshipers, newlyweds, fun seekers, small town turned city dwellers
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

moon cakes



This week in first grade we learned about the Chinese Mid Autumn Moon Festival. Actually, it was more like the students taught ME about a yearly tradition their families take part in. The teacher I work with brought in moon cakes for each person to taste, and she even gave me two to take home so Russell could learn about the Chinese culture as well.

The legend of  moon cakes goes like this: China was ruled by Mongolians during the Yuan dynasty, and people were very upset about submitting to foreign rule. To get the word out about a rebellion, leaders had special messages baked into the cakes that families would eat while gathering together during the Mid Autumn Festival. The leaders were successful at overthrowing the government with an attack on the night of the Moon Festival. Now, moon cakes are eaten every year to commemorate this legend.

The cakes are made with bean paste but are actually very sweet. We both like the taste of them, but I couldn't eat the full thing. This was yet another opportunity to immerse ourselves in the culture of this city.


On a different note, here are some things we have learned this week

-Only get on the front train car during the morning commute, since crazy people can get on any of the other cars without paying. (I ran into Bloody Elbow Man this week...to my surprise he is still alive. If you have not heard this story of our first city experience, you are missing out!)

-Never get off the bus in the Haight, even if it is just to catch a different bus. I was screamed at by a schizophrenic lady while waiting for a bus that was supposed to come in 3 minutes, and never showed up.

-Blue Bottle coffee is crack coffee. It always lives up to our expectations.

-Never try to leave the city on a week night. If you have to, take the Golden Gate Bridge and cut over.

Evidences of God's Grace:
-A husband who loves me and puts up with my complaining while sitting in traffic for 2 hours.

-Spending time with family to celebrate my dad's birthday. What could be better than listening to good country music under the stars with the people who mean the most?

-The words of Sara Evans to put my heart back in the right place: "Looking in your eyes, seeing all I need, everything you are is everything in me. These are the moments I know heaven must exist,
And these are the moments I know all I need is this..." Sometimes it is hard for me to embrace life in the city, and this was a good reminder that I am so fortunate.

-The opportunity to connect with new friends over a delicious French dinner and good wine.

-A sweet little girl at my school who stopped me on the playground and said "Wow, you are beautiful!" Thank you for helping me feel more confident.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I better learn Sara's song. It was an amazing evening with all my loving family!!!

    ReplyDelete